Travertine is a natural stone, frequently used for counter tops, flooring and shower tile. It is extremely porous and vulnerable to stains in everyday use. This type of tile should be sealed when used in the home, but even so, it can still attract stains, mould and dirt in its crevices especially in damp or high-traffic areas. If you treat travertine tile with care and the proper materials, it will last a lifetime, adding elegance and beauty to your home.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Soft cloth
- Lukewarm water
- Natural stone cleaner
- Trivets, hotplates, coasters, area rugs, trays
- Natural stone sealer
- Squeegee (optional)
Wipe up spills with a wet sponge as soon as they occur, especially if the spill is food or wine. Anything acidic, even fruit juice, can etch and stain travertine tile. Dry the tile with a soft cloth.
Use natural stone cleaner formulated for travertine tile on travertine surfaces. These cleaners are available at hardware stores and home improvement centres and travertine will be marked clearly on the label.
Rinse travertine surfaces thoroughly after application with lukewarm water. Dry with a clean, soft towel.
Use coasters, trays, trivets and hotplates to protect travertine surfaces from cups, bottles, cosmetics and hot dishes. Place area rugs on travertine floors in high-traffic areas to avoid embedded dirt.
Reseal the travertine surface with a natural stone sealer every six months. Clean and dry the surface before applying the sealer, wiping it on with a soft cloth. This solution will fill the pores of the stone so they won't collect dirt and stains, but eventually it wears off.
Tips and warnings
- Squeegee travertine shower walls after each use to get rid of standing water quickly. If moisture remains on travertine it can cause stains and mould.
- Don't use commercial soaps and detergents unless they are specifically recommended for this type of tile. Even some stone soaps leave residue that streaks travertine.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for