Epoxy resin is a versatile medium for crafting everything from jewellery to home decor. It is used to embed objects and seal images onto a variety of surfaces. With its crystal-clear, rock-hard finish, resin is an ideal choice for sealing pictures onto coins. Beautiful and durable, a resin-coated picture coin can be drilled for jewellery such as earrings, bracelets, necklaces and pendants. Arrange several resin-coated picture coins collage-style in a picture frame and hang on the wall, or encase them in a thick coat of resin on the surface of a table or bar counter for a stunning conversation piece.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Solvent-free craft resin
- Silver dollar, nickel or other coin
- Small, natural-bristle artist paint brush
- Mixing cup
- Paper towel
- Wet towel
Mix resin in a 2 to 1 ratio according to the instructions. Measure the coin. Select a picture that fits the coin. Trim the picture to fit to the edges of the coin.
Coat one side of the picture with resin, using a paint brush. Set it aside to dry; coat the other side of the picture and let it dry completely.
Brush resin on one side of a coin. Smooth the sealed picture onto the surface of the coin. Set it aside to dry. Coat the other side of the coin with resin and let dry. If you are making a reversible picture coin, place a picture on both sides. Apply a second coat of resin. Allow to dry for 24 hours.
Tips and warnings
- Drill coins for jewellery-making or mount un-drilled coins onto another surface such as wood, leather, acrylic or metal.
- Select photos you want to use and print them onto card stock. Ideas for family photos include coin charm bracelets for gifts, mounting in shadow boxes for wall hangings and trinket boxes with photo coin lids.
- Look for unusual or vintage coins and put the picture on one side only.
- Add glitter to the resin for a sparkly effect on your picture coin.
- Keep paper and wet towels handy for clean-up.
- Select solvent-free, organically-based epoxy resin that dries skin-safe, particularly when making coin components for jewellery.
- If you don't use solvent-free resin, work in a well-ventilated area.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for