Mouthwash is an essential part of good oral hygiene, and consumers have a wide variety of choices when selecting a product. An idea that some people may not have considered, however, is the option of making your own mouthwash at home. It's actually easier than it sounds, and all of the ingredients are readily available at health food stores as well as online. The biggest benefit of these homemade mouthwashes is that they can be tailored to suit individual needs. Clove oil, for example, has a natural antiseptic effect and helps to dull pain, so it may be especially useful in preventing infection or to those suffering from a canker sore.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Glass container with lid, 454gr. or larger
- 473ml. water
- 4 drops clove oil
- 2 drops myrrh
- 1 zinc tablet
- 2 folic acid tablets
- Optional herbs, such as sage, mint or ginger
Add 473ml. of water to a glass container. Make sure the container has a lid for covering and storing the finished mouthwash.
Add 2 drops of clove oil, 2 drops of myrrh, 1 zinc tablet and 2 folic acid tablets to the water.
Wait for the tablets to dissolve and then shake the mixture well. Make sure the clove oil, myrrh, zinc tablet and folic acid tablets are thoroughly distributed in the water.
Add an optional dash of herb -- such as sage, mint or ginger -- to the mouthwash. Speak with a consultant at a health food store or an herbalist to determine what herbs would best suit your needs.
Rinse your mouth with the mouthwash and spit it out. Be careful not to swallow any of it.
Store the remaining mouthwash mixture in the refrigerator in a covered glass jar. The mouthwash can be stored for up to one week.
Tips and warnings
- Do not add Vitamin C powder or any citrus oil to your mouthwash, because it can affect your teeth and reduce the alkalinity of the mouthwash.
- Make sure the clove oil and myrrh is appropriate for use in a mouthwash. Many of the oils sold in stores are for freshening rooms and are not safe for other uses. Consult with the store's staff to determine whether the oil is suitable for your purpose.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for