Fancy dress parties have consistently been all the rage since they came into vogue during the Victorian era. Whereas at masquerade parties, guests are given to act bawdy and inappropriate because their identities are hidden, fancy dress parties feature all the fun of costumes with none of the scandal. Paper fruits can be used as accessories for many types of fancy dress costumes, including trees, Carmen Miranda and the ever-popular costume depiction of the season of Spring.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Small round balloons, such as water balloons
- Ornament hooks
- Fruit-coloured tissue paper
- Petroleum jelly
- Glossy découpage medium
- Leaves, real or cut from or green construction paper
- Black paint (optional)
Blow up the balloons to your desired size and tie the ends. Place an ornament hook through the tied end of each balloon, being careful not to puncture the balloon.
Tear up the tissue paper into small strips or chunks.
Cover the balloons with a thin layer of petroleum jelly.
Lay strips of tissue paper on top of the petroleum jelly. Paint each strip with découpage medium. Continue until the fruit is the texture and thickness desired. Leave the smallest opening possible around the knot.
Hang the balloon in a safe place. Allow it to dry overnight.
Puncture each balloon with a pin. If possible, carefully remove the deflated balloon from the tissue-paper shell. If doing so is not possible, push it down inside the shell.
Place a small twig in each opening. Glue it in place. Add either real leaves or leaves cut from green construction paper. If desired, stuff the opening with extra tissue paper and paint with découpage medium.
For textured fruits such as strawberries, paint seeds or textures onto the dried shell with black paint.
Tips and warnings
- To make a banana, follow these same steps, except look for long balloons of the sort used to make balloon animals.
- Subtle differences in shape (for example, the wider base of a pear) can be built up using extra layers of découpage in appropriate places.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for