Mold is a fungus that thrives best in a damp, warm environment. Clothing stored in a damp basement or packed away slightly wet is a prime candidate for mould development. Once mould starts to grow on your clothes, it leaves stains and an unpleasant musty smell. You can successfully remove mould from your clothing with the proper cleaning supplies and techniques. Left unattended mould weakens the fibres of some clothing and spreads to nearby surfaces.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Lemon juice
- Table salt
- 1/2 cup oxygen bleach
- Washing powder
- 1 cup white vinegar
Place mouldy clothes on clean towels in direct sunlight. Mix together equal parts lemon juice and table salt to create a mould-killing paste. Spread the lemon and salt mixture on the mould stains and allow them to dry on your clothes in the sun.
Shake your clothing off outside to remove the dried lemon and salt mixture. Bring the clothes inside and soak them in a bucket of diluted bleach solution made with 1 gallon water and 1/2 cup oxygen bleach. Leave the clothes in the bucket for 30 minutes to remove mould stains.
Launder your clothes with washing powder. Add 1 cup white vinegar to the rinse cycle to freshen clothing and remove any remaining stains odours from mould.
Dry your clothes outside in the sun. Ensure they're completely dry before storing them away.
Tips and warnings
- Launder mouldy clothing in the hottest water possible as soon as you discover mould stains. Hang them to dry in the sun.
- Soak mouldy clothes in a vinegar solution to kill mould spores and remove stains.
- Use diluted bleach to get rid of mould on white clothes.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- University of Missouri: How to Prevent and Remove Mildew-Home Methods: Removing Mildew: Clothing and Household Fabrics
- University of Illinois Extension: How to Remove Mold and Mildew: To Remove Mold and Mildew Stains From Fabric
- University of Florida: How To Clean Up Mold: Moldy Porous Materials
- Good Housekeeping: Get Rid of Mildew Fast!: Free Your Fabrics