If you have soffit and fascia boards on your home and wish to paint them, there is a specific process that you must follow in order to do so. Soffit boards are the boards that lie as the underside of overhangs and eaves on the outside of the home and lie parallel to the ground. Fascia boards are the pieces of trim that wrap around the outside of these pieces. Fascia boards are also used to refer to boards that wrap around overhanging windows as well.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Set up a ladder that can adequately reach the soffit and fascia in question. Because these pieces are usually high up on homes, you can expect anywhere from 10 and 30 feet in height depending on the home being painted. An extension ladder works best, however larger stepladders may work on some homes.
Scrape away any loose paint that may exist on both the fascia and soffit being painted. Use a handheld scraper and gently scrape away anything that easily comes off. Do not force paint that may not be loose. Use a piece of low grit sandpaper to sand the areas that were scraped so that they are consistent with the rest of the soffit and fascia boards.
Apply paint to the brush by inserting into the paint can or paint tray approximately halfway then using the side of the can or tray to wipe away any excess. Excess paint on the brush can lead to dripping and a messy finish. Apply the pain in short strokes to the area being painted. Hold the paint brush along the metal part of the brush for better control. Continue until the entire area has been covered with new paint. Allow 24 hours for the paint to dry.
Tips and warnings
- You may use a small roller on both the soffit and fascia boards if desired. This can save a considerable amount of time throughout the project, however it also leaves a greater risk of an unprofessional job as the roller is harder to control, especially while on a ladder.
- Always set up the ladder on a level surface and if possible have someone at the bottom making sure that the ladder does not shake or tilt while it is in use.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for