Super Girl is the female cousin of Superman in the DC Comics series. Like her cousin, she possess super human strength, can fly and wears blue and red tight clothing with a large "S" emblazoned on the front with a cape. Young girls, tweens, teens and women alike can all wear a Super Girl costume. Comic book artist, Michael Turner, changed the costume slightly by drawing a two piece option that bared Super Girl's midriff, giving the character a more grown-up appeal for a costume.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Blue leotard
- Red felt
- Yellow felt
- Measuring tape
- Red fabric
- Sewing machine, or needle and thread
- Straight pins
- Yellow ribbon
- Red boots
- Red legwarmers or knee socks (optional)
- Safety pins (optional)
- Glue (optional)
Cut a large S from a piece of red felt. Attach it to a pentagon-shaped piece of yellow felt with craft glue. Pin or sew it to the front of a royal blue leotard. It can be long-sleeved or short, in a crew or V-neck style.
Measure the circumference of the waist, and then multiply this number by three. Determine how long the skirt will be by measuring from the waist to where the hem should fall, adding one inch to this number to account for the elastic. Cut a long rectangle using these two measurements from a piece of shiny red fabric.
Fold the long edge of the fabric down half an inch. Insert straight pins to hold it in place. Use a running stitch to create a casing. Thread the elastic through the casing. The length of the elastic should be approximately 2 inches shorter than the waist measurement. Gather the fabric evenly, and then secure the elastic with a few stitches. Finish the skirt by sewing the short side together while the skirt is inside out.
Cut a rectangle of red fabric. Sew or pin the short side to the shoulders of the leotard. The size of the rectangle will be determined by how large you desire the cape to be. A short cape can be tied on by attaching ribbons to the top corners, but the weight of a long cape will tug on the neck or become a safety hazard.
Tie a wide yellow ribbon around the top of the skirt. Alternately, the ribbon can be sewn on the top of the skirt or glued in place.
Wear tall red boots to complete the outfit. Red boots can be faked by pulling red legwarmers or red knee socks over black boots or your calves.
Tips and warnings
- Look in thrift stores for a red skirt or dress that can be altered to save time and money. For example, a long red dress can be cut into the short skirt and the remaining fabric can be used as the cape.
- Create a two-piece, midriff baring Super Girl costume by cutting a leotard at or above the natural waistline. Add a piece of elastic to secure the top.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for