Recent research has shown that smokers tend to stop smoking if their social cluster (friends, family, co-workers) stop smoking as well. In fact, they found that not only did individuals stop smoking but entire clusters were stopping en masse. If you and your family members have become a non-smoking group, you can clean up the cigarette smoke damage to your home to start your cigarette-free life with a fresh outlook.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Plastic tarp
- New sponge-mop head
- Large sponge
- Scrub brush
- Ammonia-based cleaner
- Stain-blocking paint
- Decorative paint
- Ceiling paint
Wash the ceiling and walls. Mix an ammonia-based cleaner and water in a pail, according to the directions on the bottle. Dip the sponge mop in the water and wipe it up and down the ceiling and walls, one vertical section at a time.
Rinse the ceiling and walls. Fill a second pail with clear water and rinse the ceiling and walls with the large sponge. Change the water whenever it gets brown. Let the ceiling and walls dry.
Paint. Apply two coats of your favourite decorator paint.
Washing semigloss paint
Clean the ceiling and walls. Wipe any dust off the ceiling and walls. Sponge the ceiling and walls off with clear water, and let it dry.
Apply stain-blocking paint. Use stain-blocking paint to cover the nicotine stains.
Apply decorative paint. Apply two coats of the decorative paint of your choice.
Washing flat paint
Clean. Mix an ammonia-based cleaner and water in a pail, according to the directions on the bottle. Use a scrub brush to clean the woodwork.
Rinse. Using a sponge, rinse with clear water. Let dry.
Paint. Paint with the decorative paint of your choice.
Cleaning painted woodwork
Tips and warnings
- Use a new head on your sponge mop.
- If you have a textured ceiling, vacuum the ceiling to remove loose texture. Seal the stains by applyig a coat of stain-blocking paint. Follow by applying regular ceiling paint.
- If you have a paint sprayer, you can use it to apply the paint. This is especially helpful for applying ceiling paint.
- Check manufacturer's instructions before cleaning wallpaper, if possible. Mild soap and water is generally acceptable, especially if you only dampen and do not soak the paper. Some wallpaper can be painted over, but it's best to remove the wallpaper if you want a smoothly finished wall.
- To avoid damage to your furniture, cover it and move it away from your walls.
- To avoid damage to your floors, cover then with tarp. Be sure the tarp has no holes in it to avoid getting brown stains on the floor.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for