How to Remove Urine Stains From Grout
Boden image by Milosz Bartoszczuk from Fotolia.com
Urine stains can seep into grouted tile floors and leave behind an unpleasant stain and odour. Since grout is porous, the urine can discolour it. You can restore the grout to its original colour by cleaning it thoroughly to remove the urine. Urine can grow bacteria that can make the grout unsanitary.
Clean the urine immediately to prevent it from soaking into the grout to help minimise the time required to remove it.
Vacuum or sweep the area to remove loose dirt and debris. This will ensure that you penetrate the grout well.
- Urine stains can seep into grouted tile floors and leave behind an unpleasant stain and odour.
- You can restore the grout to its original colour by cleaning it thoroughly to remove the urine.
Wipe the grout down with a water and sponge.
Combine 1 part of white vinegar with 10 parts of water in a bucket. Apply the cleaning solution to the grout with a sponge. Allow the vinegar solution to sit on the grout for three to four minutes, then scrub the grout with scrub brush.
Rinse the grout with clean water and a sponge.
Mix an equal amount of baking soda with water to create a paste in a container, if the grout still appears stained or discoloured. Scrub the paste into the grout with a scrub brush. Allow it to set for 10 minutes, then rinse it off with clean water and a sponge.
- Wipe the grout down with a water and sponge.
- Allow the vinegar solution to sit on the grout for three to four minutes, then scrub the grout with scrub brush.
- You may need to clean grout with a wax stripper to completely remove the urine. Contact the help of a professional cleaner.
- Do not apply vinegar on unsealed marble.
Angela LaFollette holds a Bachelor of Arts in advertising with a minor in political science from Marshall University. LaFollette found her passion for writing during an internship as a reporter for "The West Virginia Standard" in 2007. She has more than six years of writing experience and specializes in topics in garden and pets.