Volunteering to work as a teaching assistant in Sheffield or elsewhere in the United Kingdom to gain work experience is easier than gaining paid employment, and it can often lead to securing a paid position at some point. Teaching assistants provide invaluable assistance to teachers, allowing them to provide more personalised education to students. Those interested in this volunteer work must simply send a letter of application to prospective schools in Sheffield or apply for advertised voluntary positions.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Teaching Assistant Diploma
- Typing paper
- Black pen
- Employment agents
Take a course to get a qualification like a Teaching Assistant Diploma. Courses are available at further education colleges in Sheffield or you can take a correspondence course. Schools will be more interested in giving you the opportunity to volunteer in the classroom if you're already qualified.
Send a letter of application to your school of choice with a resume and cover letter. Address the letter to the headmaster or headmistress. Ask to work as a teaching assistant on a voluntary basis to gain work experience. Provide information about yourself; tell the school why you want to be a teaching assistant and why you have chosen this particular school. Use good quality typing paper and sign letters with a black pen. Send them in A4 envelopes and use the correct postage. To improve your chances of gaining a voluntary position, apply to all Sheffield schools.
Look out for voluntary positions at local schools, which can be advertised in newspapers, job websites or employment agencies in Sheffield. When you find something that interests you, send a resume or complete an application form, as applicable.
Tips and warnings
- It's a government requirement for employees who work with children to undergo an enhanced CRB check, which is a thorough police check. Volunteers will get the security check for free, but it will need to be organised by the employer, as individuals are not permitted to apply.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for