The active ingredients in dander spray are natural enzymes. These enzymes break down organic materials, eliminating the flakes of skin and hair from your pet that cause allergies in hair and textiles. The best way to make a homemade dander spray for cats or any other furry family member is through a simple fermentation process.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Kitchen scale
- Brown sugar
- Fruit or vegetable scraps
- 2-liter plastic or glass bottle with cap
- Spray bottle
- One litre of water
- Marking pen
Use the scale to measure 100 grams of brown sugar. Set this aside, and measure 300 grams of organic waste. In sources checked, Happy Home Maker uses citrus peels, while the recipe published in "The Star" uses leftover salad greens. Any type of organic waste that you would put into a compost container can be used to create this mixture. Citrus scraps are preferred by many enzyme makers because of their fresh scent and thick, voluminous skin.
Clean all your scraps in tap water to remove any dirt or grime. If necessary, you can cut them to a size that will fit through the opening in the 2-liter bottle. Use a kitchen funnel to pour the brown sugar into the 2-liter bottle, folloed by the kitchen scraps. Add one litre of tap water to the bottle.
Cap the bottle and shake it vigorously, until all the ingredients are mixed together. The sugar does not have to completely dissolve at this time, as it will eventually throughout the process. Use a marker to write the date on the bottle to remember when the fermentation started. The whole process takes three months.
Unscrew the cap to release built-up gas and pressure every day for the first month to avoid an explosion. After three months have passed, the enzyme cleaner is ready to use. Leave everything in the bottle and pour the amount needed into a spray container. For a cleaner look, strain the particles and fruit matter out of the liquid.
Use to clean surfaces and floors, spray in air, on pet beds, curtains and carpets. The enzymes will devour the organic material in cat and other animal dander, neutralising its allergy-causing components.
Tips and warnings
- White substance on top of the material is expected. If you see this, shake the bottle and mix it into the solution. The calculation of this recipe, according to the Malaysian Newspaper "The Star," is one part sugar, to three parts organic kitchen waste, to 10 parts tap water.
- If the gasses are not allowed to escape the bottle, they will build and eventually explode the bottle or force the cap off.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for