A classic, sun-loving Mediterranean shrub, the oleander is ideal in landscapes where the winter temperatures do not dip below -6.7 degrees Celsius (20 Fahrenheit). During the summer months, an oleander is low-maintenance, adding a vibrant splash of colour to your yard with an abundance of blossoms. When the blooms don't appear, you just need to make sure all the plant's basic needs are being met.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Granulated fertiliser, 10-10-10 formula
Plant your oleander or move your oleander container to a place where it will receive at least six hours of direct sun every day. Oleanders thrive in sunshine and when grown in a shaded area they will either have limited blossoms or no blooms at all.
Fertilise your oleander shrub in the spring and again in autumn. Use a granular 10-10-10 formula, all-purpose fertiliser. One cup of fertiliser worked into the soil around the base of the shrub will be sufficient. Water thoroughly after applying the fertiliser.
Water your oleander during dry periods. Although oleanders can tolerate periods of drought, it may decrease flowering. Oleanders need 2.5 to 5 cm (1 to 2 inches) of water per week to promote ongoing flowering and growth.
Prune your oleander immediately after blooming ceases in autumn. Oleanders bloom on new growth, so if you prune your shrub in the early summer, you will not have blossoms that year. You must allow your oleander to produce new growth for flowering to occur.
Tips and warnings
- Oleanders can also be grown in containers or pots, for home-owners in colder regions, moving the shrub to a garage or other protected area during periods of cold.
- If you are growing your oleander in a container, have it in a sunny spot with adequate water and it still is not blooming, it may need re-potting. An oleander that is root-bound tends to save its energy and will not produce blossoms.
- All parts of an oleander shrub are poisonous. When pruning, wear gloves and do not burn the pruned-off parts, as even the smoke is toxic.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for