A bad BIOS flash can seem like the end for a computer's motherboard. If your Eee PC's BIOS is so badly corrupted that it won't even load the operating system, there is one method for bringing your computer back from the dead. By loading the proper BIOS files onto a USB drive, you can re-flash the BIOS by simply plugging the drive into your crippled machine.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Secondary functional computer
- USB flash drive
Plug in your USB drive to your functional computer. Transfer all files from the drive onto your hard drive. You do not want any other files on this drive other than those specific to re-flashing the Eee PC.
Visit the ASUSTek support website within your preferred Internet browser. Click the "Download" link in the middle of the page. Under "General Download," you will see three drop-down menus. Set the first to "Eee Family" and the second to "Eee PC." Choose your model number from the third menu. Click "Search."
Download the most recent BIOS software from the list of downloads displayed. Save the file to your hard drive.
Right-click the BIOS' associated .ROM file. Rename it based on your model of Eee PC. The proper file names for each model are as follows:
Eee PC 701: 701.ROM
Eee PC 2G: 700.ROM
Eee PC 8G: 702.ROM
Eee PC 900: 900.ROM
Copy the .ROM file directly to the root directory of your USB drive. In other words, do not save this file within a folder. Remove the drive once the file has completed copying.
Plug the USB drive into your Eee PC. Turn on the Eee PC. Leave the computer alone for 10 minutes. Once 10 minutes is up, turn off the computer and remove the USB drive.
Reboot the Eee PC. The BIOS should now be functional.
Tips and warnings
- If performed incorrectly, this method can result in a permanently disabled system. Go slowly through these steps to ensure that you do not cause more damage. If you do not feel confident with re-flashing your BIOS on your own, it may be best to contact a computer repair specialist.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for