Go-karts are fun recreational vehicles that can be customised to handle better and go faster. Making a 6.5 horsepower go-kart accelerate faster can be done by performing a few minor tweaks to the engine. These tweaks require an understanding of the basics of an engine as well as some mechanical knowledge.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Metal saw
- Needle-nose pliers
- Spark plug socket
- Ratchet wrench
- Spark plug gapper
- Iridium-tipped go-kart spark plug
- 3-mm drill bit
- Electric drill
Determine the location of the muffler for the go-kart. Use a metal saw to remove the long metal tube as close to the muffler as popular. Remove the muffler entirely for even extra horsepower--though it will cause the engine to be extremely loud.
Use a screwdriver to remove the throttle body from the go-kart's engine. Locate the throttle cable and determine if a throttle governor is present. Use needle-nose pliers to squeeze the governor until it can be removed from the throttle cable.
Pull the spark plug wire from the engine's spark plug. Remove the spark plug using a ratchet wrench and socket. Replace the original spark plug with the iridium-tipped spark plug. Ensure that the gap of the plug is set at 0.30-mm with a gapper tool.
Increase airflow to the go-kart engine by drilling holes into the air intake box. Open the box and remove the air filter to ensure it is not damaged. Use a 3mm drill bit to drill holes approximately one inch apart through the filter box. Clean the box thoroughly to remove any plastic from the holes.
Tips and warnings
- Removing the muffler flow pipe causes an increase in exhaust, allowing the engine to perform at a higher efficiency. The option to remove the muffler entirely will create a large gain in horsepower--though it may be illegal in certain areas.
- Governors are devices that cause the throttle cable to be limited from full functionality. Removing the governor allows the throttle to open to full capacity.
- Iridium-tipped sparks plugs will create a "hotter" spark resulting in better piston response through the engine. These plugs have the potential to add horsepower to the engine.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for