The towing rating for your Honda CR-V tells you how much weight you can safely tow with your car. Select a trailer with a total weight -- which includes the trailer, its cargo and its tongue -- that does not exceed your Honda's towing rating. When you stay within these guidelines, your CR-V is able to comfortably handle accelerating, turning and braking with the attached trailer. Overloading your vehicle can damage your engine or transmission, and creates unsafe driving conditions.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Look in your owner's manual. If your vehicle is able to tow, the Honda owner's guide will tell you specifications about your towing capacity. It may also include other information about your towing limitations or restrictions.
Call your Honda dealer to get your tow rating. Your dealer is able to reference most standard information about your car. In addition to towing capacity, they may also be able to tell you your ratings on the tongue weight when it is factory installed. (See References 2)
Make sure that the information you get is for your specific make and model. Engines, transmissions and other features affecting the towing capacity can vary from one year to the next. For example, the 2011 CR-V has a towing capacity of 680 Kilogram. This is an increase from the 1,000 pound rating of the 1997 CR-V.
Check the weight rating on your hitch. The tow rating from your owner's manual or dealer may only cover the vehicle's towing ability. The weight rating on the hitch is separate, and limits the load that can be pulled. Look for the rating stamped directly on the hitch.
Tips and warnings
- Many automobile specifications are available online, but you should choose your source carefully. If the wrong information has been posted, you could potentially overload your CR-V.
- The towing rating is the maximum amount of weight that you can tow. This includes the weight of the trailer, all items stowed in the trailer and any equipment attached to the trailer. For best towing practices, only pull trailers that are below the towing rating of your CR-V.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for