Candles not only give off warmth and light, they also freshen the air with their scent and help create a cosy atmosphere. In the winter, several candles in a small room can even raise the temperature several degrees. Add enough candles to a side table, and you can turn off your lamp.
Jar candles provide a candle holder along with the candle itself. If you love to give these candles as gifts or enjoy making your own, decorating the candle jar adds a thoughtful touch and helps incorporate the candle into your decor
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Alcohol wipes
- Glass paint, clear or opaque
- Cotton swabs
Pop the lid from your candle jar and turn it over. You should see a plastic stopper cap on the underside of the lid. Slide the end of your screwdriver under the edge of the plastic cap and push upward until the cap pops off.
Choose a design for your candle. The scent can help with this. For instance, floral scents call for a flower design. Apple and fall scents mean apples, nuts and autumn leaves. Christmas scents could have wreaths, ornaments and candy cane designs.
Wipe down the outside of your jar and the inside of the lid with alcohol wipes. This removes oil and dust that may prevent your paint from flowing smoothly onto the glass.
Paint a design on the inside of your jar lid. This creates a smooth, window-like piece of art. Start with things you want in the foreground, like tree ornaments, flower centres and light-coloured flower or fruit highlights. Paint in the background last.
Paint a continuation of your design on the jar itself. Paint the background in first on the outside of the jar. Add little details last. Work slowly, correcting mistakes with cotton swabs. Allow your work to dry overnight.
Tips and warnings
- Glue fabric, wallpaper or stationary remnants into the top of your candle jar. You also can add coloured sand, beads, glass pieces, dried flowers and bundles of ribbons to the jar lid. Just make sure everything is secure and close the bottom with a sealed cardboard circle.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for