Chipmunks are a member of the squirrel family and are small ground-dwelling rodents, although they can climb trees. Chipmunks can cause a lot of damage to a garden. They dig up flower bulbs, eat fruit and vegetables and chew on flowers and their buds. There is a natural way get chipmunks to stop feasting on your garden. Chipmunks don't like the taste of hot peppers, so a liberal dose of homemade pepper spray can keep the cute, but troublesome, critters at bay.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Spray bottle
- Cayenne pepper
Bring 1 quart of water to a boil and add 2 tbs. of ground cayenne pepper to the water. Allow the water to cool.
Drain the fluid through cheesecloth into a spray bottle. Add 2 tbs. oil and shake the mixture well.
Spray the mixture on anything in your yard chipmunks want to eat. Spray low, reaching foliage and stems accessible to the tiny animals.
Reapply the spray every two to three weeks or after a rainfall.
Tips and warnings
- Wash your produce thoroughly before eating.
- Dried red pepper flakes work as well.
- Do not apply an oil-based spray in the sun.
- Will repel deer and some insects as well.
- Test the spray on a small part of a plant first, wait a day or two. If there is any damage or wilting, do not spray on the rest of the plant.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for