Keeping your chrome fixtures clean and shiny can be a challenge, particularly in a humid climate that promotes rust development. While plenty of commercial rust removers and chrome polishers are on the market, they all contain chemicals that can adversely affect you, your family and the environment. If you prefer green cleaners, make your own rust remover and chrome polisher with supplies found in the home. Use these homemade products on a regular basis to ensure your chrome remains clean, shiny and rust-free.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1/2 cup borax powder
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Clean cloths
- Soft toothbrush
- White vinegar
- Aluminium foil
- Baby oil
Mix 1/2 cup borax powder and 1/4 cup lemon juice in a bowl. Dip a damp cloth in the paste and rub it on the chrome surface to remove rust. Allow the paste to sit on the rust for 15 minutes.
Wipe the rust-removing paste from the chrome using a clean cloth. Apply more paste to any remaining rust stains using a soft toothbrush. Scrub the rust stain before allowing the paste to sit on the surface for 10 minutes.
Rinse the lemon and borax paste from the chrome surface by wiping it with a damp cloth. Dry the surface with a clean cloth.
Clean any paste residue from your chrome with a vinegar-dampened cloth. As you wipe the surface, move your cloth in a buffing motion to start polishing the chrome.
Buff your chrome surface with a piece of aluminium foil. Hold the foil with the shiny side facing out. Add a few drops of baby oil to a clean cloth and use it to add shine to any dull areas on your chrome.
Tips and warnings
- Rust development occurs when metal surfaces become wet. The rust can develop on the chrome or transfer to it from another surface. Keep your chrome surfaces dry or wipe them down after getting wet.
- In addition to cleaning chrome, you can also use vinegar to polish it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for