The type of drive belt that is used to transfer power from one shaft to another is called a "V-belt." This belt has a groove on one side that allows it to be seated within a pulley. This prevents the belt from coming off as it moves. The correct size belt should be selected when it comes time to replace a V-belt. To obtain the size, measure the belt to calculate its length.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wire cutters
- Tape measure
Remove the V-belt from the pulleys on the engine.
Lay the belt on the ground or on a bench. Cut the belt with a pair of wire cutters and then stretch it out.
Measure the length of the belt by using the tape measure.
Measure the Belt
Measure the distance from the centre or one pulley to the centre of the other pulley. Make a note of the measurement, such as 26 inches.
Measure the diameter of a pulley and make a note of the measurement, such as 3.5 inches.
Enter "26" for "l" into the equation L= (2 x l) = (Pi x D). Enter "3" for "D" in the equation.
Reduce the equation L = (2 x 26) + (Pi x 3.5) into L = 52 + 11 which equals 63 inches.
Calculate the Length
Tips and warnings
- You can measure the circumference of a V-belt with a paper tape measure in lieu of cutting the belt.
- Use a calculator is you do not want to calculate V-belt length by hand.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for