Occasionally, the power switch assemblage on a Compaq laptop breaks. A power switch breaking means you cannot use your laptop until it is repaired. A power switch repairing and replacement is simple to do. You can power up and use the laptop again after a few steps.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Razor saw
- Electrical tape
- Lead from a resistor solder & iron
- Long nose pliers
- Small hand saw
Remove the laptop case, this is done by removing the sides from the case with the help of screwdriver. Carefully lay the screws aside, as you will need these later.
Cut the plastic body at a small angle.The cuts must be about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter, and just barely though the plastic body. Using the tool, make a cut at a slight angle on one of the sides of power socket, and then continue the cut until the bottom of laptop. Produce two separate tabs cut back and forth among the cuts. Access the socket by snapping off the tabs and remove. Replace the broken leg with a lead from a resistor and solder it back into its place.
Switch on your laptop and make sure it works. After that, you can secure the socket in place with superglue. You can also cover your laptop with electrical tape for extra protection over the pieces that were just installed.
Tips and warnings
- If your laptop still does not power on, then there is some problem in your motherboard and it is defective.
- You can also check the working of the switch on the motherboard marked area. There are a bunch of pins sticking to the power LEDs. Make sure that the power button wires are connected properly on motherboard with their sleeves. If so, then take out an insulation piece from each wire and short circuit the exposed portions together. If this works, replace the old power switch with a new one.
- If you don't wish to repair the socket, or if it is damaged, then you can use laptop power switches from different manufacturers.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for