Paraffin wax is commonly used to make different types of candles, including tapered, container, moulded and scented candles. If you want to make your own handmade candles and are using paraffin wax, you must melt the wax to transform it into different candles. To melt the wax effectively, you need to follow a few guidelines to prevent ruining any kitchen equipment.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Paraffin wax, 0.454kg.
- Large empty coffee can
- Double boiler
Place 1 pound of pure paraffin wax into an empty, clean coffee can.
Place the coffee can into the top of a double boiler.
Fill the bottom of the double boiler halfway up with water.
Heat the double boiler with the coffee can inside it over medium heat until the paraffin wax melts completely.
Turn the heat down to medium low, and keep it there to maintain the melted paraffin wax until you use it.
Tips and warnings
- Keep any unused melted wax inside the coffee can to use later. When you want to remelt the wax, simply place it back into a double boiler.
- Always keep the melted paraffin wax inside the coffee can when melting it. If wax melts onto kitchen equipment, such as pots or pans, it can be difficult to remove.
- Keep hot wax away from children. Avoid touching the melted wax with your skin, which can cause burns.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for