PCV stands for positive crankcase ventilation. The idea behind it is to run exhaust fumes back through the engine combustion chamber, to incinerate any unburned fuel or other pollutant before expelling it through the exhaust system. The system contains a PCV valve, a PCV hose and two grommets. After time, the PCV hose on the 2000 Ford Focus wagon can begin to deteriorate, leak and ultimately fail. If this happens, you will need to replace the hose so your Focus can continue running smoothly.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Replacement hose
Raise the bonnet on the Focus wagon and locate the PCV hose, which runs from the throttle body along the lower right side of the engine to the PCV valve. Look below and to the right of the oil filler neck to spot the valve. The hose is black and ¾ inch in diameter.
Pull the hose off the throttle body outlet by hand. This space is extremely tight, so be careful as it is very easy to injure yourself if you have adult-sized hands. Pull the other end off the PCV valve by hand, also.
Slide the replacement hose over the PVC valve and route it back to the throttle body. Slip it over the throttle body outlet. For a few dollars extra, it doesn’t hurt to replace the PCV valve while you are doing this.
Tips and warnings
- A cracked PCV line can lead to poor fuel economy and a rough running engine. This can also turn your "Check Engine" light on as diagnostic trouble codes relating to the failure are generated. Once the repair is completed, the power train control module will recheck the system during the next drive cycle and turn the light back off if there are no other malfunctions detected.
- Only perform this operation when the engine is cold to the touch. The hose runs in close proximity to the exhaust system which can deliver second- and third-degree burns in the blink of an eye if you touch them accidentally.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for