Burning candles adds to the warmth and atmosphere in your home. As the light reflects off the glass candle holders it brings brightness and shine to the room. But when the candle has burnt down to nothing and you need to remove the stub from the glass holder you may find yourself with candle wax stuck inside. Rather than leave the candle wax in to collect and build-up, which eventually renders your glass holder useless, remove the candle wax and clean out the holder so it's ready the next time you want candlelight.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Plastic bag
- Table knife
- White vinegar
- Dish scrubber
- Kitchen towel
Put your glass candle holder in a plastic bag. Set the bag in the freezer and leave it there for two hours so the wax remaining in the glass holder can freeze.
Remove your glass holder from the freezer and take it out of the bag. Discard the plastic bag. Use the blunt side of a table knife to gently pry the frozen candle wax out of the glass holder.
Place the glass holder in a bowl and pour white vinegar into the glass holder to remove grease residue from the candle. Add vinegar to the bowl, as well, if there are any candle wax stains on the outside of the holder. Allow the holder to soak in the vinegar for 10 minutes.
Scrub the inside of the glass holder to remove greasy candle wax residue. Rinse your glass holder with plain water.
Dry your glass holders using a clean kitchen towel. Store away for the next use.
Tips and warnings
- Buff greasy candle wax residue out of glass holders with an old dryer sheet.
- Run hot water over the glass candle holder to soften and remove wax.
- Spray the inside of your glass candle holder with baking spray or rub petroleum jelly inside before placing a candle in the holder. When the candle has burnt down to the end it will be much easier to remove the stub.
- Do not rinse melted candle wax down your kitchen drain as the wax can harden in the drain and cause a clog.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for