When timber gets wet and remains so, the chance of mould growing on the wood increases. Mold will continue to grow as long as there is moisture on the timber. Once dried out, the growth will stop. Mouldy timber cannot be used to build with as once it is enclosed in a space, such as the interior of the home, it is no longer able to dry out efficiently, causing more mould growth which can cause health concerns. While prevention of mould growth is easier than cleaning it up, there are ways to remove the mould from timber once it occurs.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Commercial mould remover
- Scrub brush
- Pressure washer
Spray the mould down with a commercial mould and mildew remover. Make sure you are in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling the chemicals in the remover. Coat mouldy areas of timber thoroughly. Read manufacturer's instructions for any special considerations for the brand that you purchase.
Scrub any areas, using a scrub brush, on the timber where the mould is visibly growing. The scrub brush will help to remove thick areas of mould.
Pressure wash the area to remove the commercial mould remover and to clean off any remaining mould.
Dry the timber at least 24 hours in a well-ventilated area. Do not use timber until it has dried completely.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for