Snake venom is an important ingredient in the antivenom used to combat snake bites. It is also found in certain blood pressure medications and anti-clotting drugs. Extracting snake venom -- also known as milking snakes -- is practised in the southeastern United States and in India. Snake venom is sold by the gram in Indai and is considered an acceptable way to make a living. A great deal of money can be made from extracting snake venom, but the extraction process is not easy. It should be executed by a seasoned snake handler.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Glass beaker
- Latex membrane
- Elastic band
- Venomous snake
- Long-handled hook
Tie the latex membrane over the glass beaker and secure it with the elastic band. The latex should seal up the entire opening of the beaker.
Pin down the snake by placing the long-handled hook on its neck, right below its head. You want to make sure that the snake cannot move its head and attack.
Hold the snake around its neck using four fingers, with the thumb in front. Have a second person handle the snake's body when dealing with a long snake.
Place pressure on the hand while moving it upward and downward. This will make the snake aggressive. He will open his mouth, expose his fangs and start spitting.
Push the snake's upper fangs onto the latex membrane covering the glass jar. This will instantly make him bite down onto the beaker and his venom will drip from his fangs into the jar. The time it takes to extract all the venom is different for each snake and depends on when the snake last attacked.
Place the snake back into its habitat. Snakes are generally harmless for about 20 minutes after their venom has been extracted.
Tips and warnings
- Don't use gloves when milking snakes. You want to be able to feel any movement the snake makes so you can make the necessary adjustments. Gloves may prevent you from feeling the snake's movement.
- Milking snakes should only be done by professionals experienced in the handling of snakes and extraction of snake venom.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for