Download maps onto an SD memory card and then install them onto your Garmin Nuvi 760 global positioning system (GPS). Additional maps can be purchased and downloaded from Garmin as a MapSource map data file from your computer onto the SD memory card. These files are designed to work specifically with your device. In addition to maps, you can also store MP3 (music and audio) files and JPEG images on the memory card. Purchase an SD memory card at any electronics store as one will not come with your GPS device. The bigger the memory card, the more information it can hold.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- SD memory card
- Mini-USB connector
Insert the SD memory card into the side of the Garmin Nuvi 760. Make sure you hear a clicking noise to indicate it's been inserted all the way.
Connect the mini-USB connector into the bottom of the Garmin Nuvi 760 and the other end of the cable into a USB port on your computer.
Open the file on your computer where the map was downloaded.
Locate the Garmin Nuvi 760 removable device on your computer. When you double-click on the file, you will see all files, if any, saved on the SD memory card. You should have two different windows open at this time: Garmin Nuvi 760 and downloaded map.
Move the file from your computer onto your Nuvi GPS. You can do this by placing your mouse over the map icon, right-clicking on your mouse and then selecting "Copy." Click on the Guvi GPS window, right-click the mouse and then select "Paste."
Remove the USB cable from your computer by either clicking the "Eject" button in your system tray (Windows) or dragging the volume icon to the "Trash" (Mac). It is now safe to remove both ends of the cable from both the computer and GPS system.
Tips and warnings
- You can purchase maps featuring additional routes of the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Spain and Portugal, the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, South Africa, Russia, China, the Middle East, India, Southeast Asia, Egypt and Morocco. As of Fall 2010, prices vary depending on the map from £19.40 to £54.5.
- According to the owner's manual, the Garmin 760 is not compatible with Windows 95, 98, Me, NT or Mac 10.3 or earlier Mac operating systems.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for