The Intel Atom CPU is a line of low-voltage processors designed to work with laptop and netbook computers. The Intel Atom processor is used primarily in low-end laptops and netbooks that sell for only a few hundred dollars on average, making it a real bargain for those who decide to take the chance of overclocking their Intel Atom processor-powered laptops. The steps done to do this are not difficult and can often be done in a matter of minutes.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Restart your laptop. Do this by opening your Start menu and either clicking "Turn Off Computer" or the arrow next to "Shut Down" (in Windows 7). From there, simply select the "Restart" option to reboot your laptop.
Press the proper Function key (the numerical keys that read "F1," "F2," etc.) to enter your BIOS. Because of the wide array of companies that manufacture Intel Atom-powered laptops, the button will differ from one laptop to the next. You will know when you have the right key as the machine will boot into your BIOS automatically.
Enter your "Advanced BIOS Settings" by highlighting it using your directional arrow keys and then pressing Enter.
Locate your "Front Side Bus" speed listing, then navigate to it using the directional arrows. Once here, press Enter to go in and edit the settings. You can either manually input a new number or use the directional arrows to adjust it more gradually.
Press Esc when you are done with editing the FSB speed. Press Esc again to exit back to your main BIOS menu and one more time to exit out of your BIOS. When prompted, press "Y" to save your settings and restart your laptop.
Tips and warnings
- You can calculate what your new CPU speed will be by multiplying the Front-Side Bus speed by the Multiplier, which is located directly underneath the FSB speed listing.
- Overclocking leads to increased heat output, which can be difficult to counteract on a laptop. Increased heat can damage hardware. Keep this in mind when overclocking.
- Overclocking will require more power, which will drain your battery more quickly
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for