The Joomla! content management system is easily extended, with hundreds of plugins available for nearly any desired task.
One type of plugin used frequently integrates webmail from one of the many free or premium e-mail services into the Joomla! based website's home page. Installing a webmail plugin makes it convenient for users of the website to access their e-mail without leaving the site.
The most recent release of Joomla! is version 1.5.21 as of October 2010, and version 1.6 is in beta testing.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Locate the desired webmail plugin and download it to your desktop. There are several plugins available from the joomla.org extensions directory, and they are reviewed on the webpage "Joomla!: E-mail - Joomla! Extensions Directory."
Log in to the Joomla!-based website using an account with administrator privileges. Select the menu item "Extensions -> Install/Uninstall." Click the "Browse" button. In the File Manager dialogue, locate the webmail plugin which was downloaded to your desktop. After selecting the file, click the "Open" button.
Click the "Upload File & Install" button. Uploading and installing may take several minutes, depending on the upload speed of your Internet connection.
Select the menu item "Extensions -> Plugin Manager." Locate the plugin that was just installed, then activate it by selecting it and then clicking the "Enable" button.
Log out (or open a new browser window) and open the home page of the website on which the plugin was just installed. Near the bottom of the left column, there will now be a link for webmail. Click on the link to ensure that it works properly.
Tips and warnings
- One way to quickly locate the newly installed Webmail plugin so that it can be activated is to type "mail" in the "Filter" box on the "Plugin Manager" page, then click the "Go" button. Only plugins that have "mail" in the name will be in the filtered list. If the Webmail plugin is installed on a new installation of Joomla! 1.5.x, there will be only two plugins with "mail" as part of the name: the one just installed, and the "Content -- Email Cloaking" plugin, which is installed by default (but not activated) on a new installation.
- Some older plugins will not work under Joomla! 1.5 and newer, even if the "System -- Legacy" plugin is enabled. For example, the "Roundcube" plugin will work only under Joomla! versions prior to 1.5.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for