Many gardeners use hydroponics--growing plants in a nutrient solution instead of soil--to grow their plants. Because the growing medium is liquid, you need to do things a little differently, especially when adding chemical fertilisers such as Miracle Grow to your plants. The method for adding Miracle Grow to plants directly in the soil is easier than adding Miracle Grow to plants in a hydroponic system.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Hydroponic plants
- Miracle Grow
- Bottle or bowl
Read thoroughly the directions for adding the Miracle Grow to plants. Follow the charts, which take into account the number of plants you're feeding, where they are in the growing process and what type of plants you have, to decide the proper amount of Miracle Grow to use.
Put half of the suggested amount of Miracle Grow into a bottle or bowl. Mix in the total amount of water suggested to produce a twice-diluted solution. Mix well to combine the water and the Miracle Grow thoroughly. Tom Alexander, editor of "The Growing Edge Presents ...Hydroponic Solutions," published in 2004, recommends this dilution; Miracle Grow does not address using their plant food in hydroponics on their website.
Pour about ¼ cup of the watered-down Miracle Grow solution into the nutrient solution. Pour the Miracle Grow mixture around the edges of the plants' container and not directly on the roots of the plants.
Add this solution to your hydroponic plants only about once per week.
If you notice brown edges on the leaves, dilute the Miracle Grow solution to three times the normal suggested dilution.
Tips and warnings
- You can mix a large amount of solution at a time and keep it in a tightly sealed bottle. This will save you a few minutes when it is time to feed your plants. If you do mix a large amount of Miracle Grow solution, keep it out of reach of children as its colour resembles that of juice.
- Add 1 tsp. Epsom salts and 1 tsp calcium chloride to your hydroponic solution to give your plants added nutrients, especially as they get larger and close to harvesting.
- Do not add the full suggested solution of Miracle Grow to your plants. This may cause the roots of otherwise healthy plants to turn brown. There is more nitrogen in the Miracle Grow than hydroponic plants need.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for