A leg-stretching machine improves flexibility and prevents sports injuries. A leg-stretching machine is an 8-foot-by-1-foot rectangular frame with a roller pad on each end, which can be used to support the feet. By moving your feet in opposite directions, you will be able to stretch your legs. It is relatively simple to build and requires some basic knowledge of pipe construction and using tools.
Things you need
26 feet of 2-inch PVC piping
8 curve joints
4 T-joints (no grooves)
2 1-inch solid-wood 1.5-foot-by-1.5-foot squares
8 concave roller wheels with mounts
Roll of 2-inch foam
Roll of vinyl
½-inch wood screws
Out of the PVC pipe, cut four 3-foot pieces, two 2-foot pieces and two 1-foot pieces. The remaining pipe will be used later to make the handles.
Join one 3-foot piece of PVC pipe with one 2-foot piece using a T-joint. Then place another T-joint to the other end of the 2-foot piece, and then join another 3-foot piece to the end. Ensure the stems of the T-joints are facing upward. This will make one 8-foot pipe that has two T-joints that are sticking up. Repeat this process to make a second 8-foot pipe.
Glue a curve joint into each end of the pipes. Lay the pipes parallel to each other and insert and glue a 1-foot pipe into each curve joint connecting the two 8-foot pipes together. This will form a rectangular frame.
Cut the PVC pipe into two 2-foot pieces and four 1-foot pieces.
Insert and glue a 1-foot pipe into each T-joint. Insert and glue a curve joint at the top each 1-foot pipe. Insert a 2-foot pipe into each of the curve joints to form a 2-foot handle. Repeat this to make a handle for the other side.
Take the two 1.5-foot square pieces of wood and cut the 2-inch foam to fit the wood. Take your vinyl material and cut it to completely cover the foam and wood and staple the vinyl to the bottom.
On each bottom corner of the wood, mount and screw a concave roller wheel with ½-inch wood screws using the electric drill. Once you have the four concave wheels mounted, set your roller pads between the frames with the wheels on top of the pipes of the frame.
- How to use: Center splits: Stand on both roller pads close together, then holding onto the two handles, slowly slide the roller pads outward until you reach your maximum stretch for centre splits. Side splits: Stand on the two roller pads but turn your body a quarter to the left or right and slowly lower your body down holding onto the handles until you reach your maximum stretch.
Tips and Warnings
- How to use:
- Center splits: Stand on both roller pads close together, then holding onto the two handles, slowly slide the roller pads outward until you reach your maximum stretch for centre splits.
- Side splits: Stand on the two roller pads but turn your body a quarter to the left or right and slowly lower your body down holding onto the handles until you reach your maximum stretch.
Things you need
- 26 feet of 2-inch PVC piping
- 8 curve joints
- 4 T-joints (no grooves)
- PV glue
- 2 1-inch solid-wood 1.5-foot-by-1.5-foot squares
- 8 concave roller wheels with mounts
- Roll of 2-inch foam
- Roll of vinyl
- Electric drill
- ½-inch wood screws
- Staple gun