Factory-installed wheel-locks prevent thieves from stealing your tires and rims. They are a specially constructed bolt that can only be unscrewed using a speciality wheel-lock key on the end of your car's tire iron. Unfortunately what works against criminals can also work against owners who lose or misplace their original tire iron. Buying a factory wheel-lock key for an RX8 requires you to contact your local dealer and order the speciality part from the Mazda parts distributor.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- RX8's VIN
Visit the official Mazda web page. The official Mazda page will connect you with your local dealer.
Enter your zip code in the text box in the top, right of the page next to the words "Locate a Dealer" and click on the orange arrow to the right of the text box, or click on the link titled "Locate a Dealer" in the left toolbar. Clicking on the "Locate a Dealer" in the left toolbar will allow you to search by your zip code, city and state as well as dealership name, as opposed to just your postcode.
Contact your area dealer using the contact information provided by Mazda's official website. For example, in Gainesville, Florida, you could contact Palm Gainesville Mazda at 352-376-7581 or Jenkin's Mazda at 800-609-9859, depending on which is closer to you.
Provide the dealer with your RX8's title information, including year, body type and wheel size, vehicle identification number and proof of purchase. If you purchased the car new from a Mazda dealership, this information should be in the Mazda system. If you purchased the car used from a non-Mazda dealership or private seller, you will also need to provide the notarised title transfer documents. This is to ensure that you are a legal owner of your car. Your local dealer will order you a factory wheel-lock key for your RX8.
Tips and warnings
- Expedite the process by driving your RX8 to the dealership, so the personnel there can examine your specific year, body type and wheel size.
- Consider asking the dealership to simply unlock your wheels, as they possess master wheel-lock keys that can open all wheel-locks on all RX8s. This will save you some time waiting for your key to arrive, as well as some money, as most Mazda dealers will perform this task for free.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for