Cancun is a popular tourist destination, especially for young people on spring or summer break. For many people, it's important to keep in touch with family or friends who are vacationing or live in Mexico. Mexico can be dialled from any phone with a long-distance plan, although long-distance charges can apply. Sometimes, using an international prepaid phone card can reduce the cost of phone calls.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Dial 0-1-1 which is the international access code.
Dial 5-2 for Mexico's country code.
Dial 9-9-8, which is Cancun's city code.
Dial the telephone number you wish to reach. Your call will be connected.
Purchase an international phone card online or from a local store. There are phone cards available specifically for Mexico that can be a better value than generic international cards.
Dial the toll-free access number on the back of the card.
Dial the personal identification number (PIN). You may need to scratch the back of the card with a coin to reveal the PIN.
Follow the automatic instructions and dial the number in Cancun after the prompt.
Tips and warnings
- Dialling # after the telephone number could possibly speed up connection time depending on your phone company.
- After dialling with a prepaid phone card, the card should tell you how many minutes are available for each call.
- If you are not using a calling card, the long distance charges will be charged to your monthly phone bill.
- Some prepaid phone cards have connection fees that deduct minutes after each call. Others have maintenance minutes that deduct minutes daily or weekly regardless of use.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for