How to start an elderly home-care provider business

Updated April 17, 2017

The elderly often need someone to help them with their daily care but do not wish to turn to friends and family for their care. An elderly home-care provider business helps the elderly fill this gap by providing them with services that they need to function throughout the day.

Create a business plan for your business. Decide if you are going to be a non-profit. Decide what kind of services you will provide and how you will train and handle your employees. Find out all state regulations and standards that you will need to follow and follow them exactly. Research a location for your business and select a company name. Buy business insurance to insure that your company is protected in case of any damages or accidents.

Contact your local state area agencies. These agencies are usually listed with the Department of Health and Human Services Elder Care division. Let them know that you are interested in starting an elderly home-care provider business. They will let you know what type of licenses and certifications you will need.

Contact Medicaid and Medicare and find out how to set up the billing process with insurance billing. Some adult will have other types of insurance, and you will need to decide which companies you will be willing to work with. Create a billing system so that you know exactly how to bill each insurance and what the individual will need to pay out of pocket.

Notify the Internal Revenue Service of your business and file all your state and federal tax paperwork with them.

Request an application to become state certified and licensed as a home-care provider business. The Health and Human Services Department of Elderly care will send you an application if you request one, or you can download an application from their website.

Fill out the application to become certified and the application to become licensed. Ensure that you attach any fire and safety information that they request and make sure you are up to code with all the certification requirements.

File the application to become certified and licensed with the state. The state will come to inspect your business and complete the certification and licensing process. Once you are in compliance, you will receive a certificate that is good for a year.

Develop a human resources department where all your staff information can be safely kept. Hire employees to work with the elderly. Connect your business to the Department of Employment and follow all state regulations when you hire the employees. Maintain files on each employee.

Train all the employees so they are up to state standards and keep records of all their trainings. Have your human resources department attend job fairs to promote the hiring process. Hire a nurse to oversee any medical aspects of the adult care facility.

Do a criminal record check on all your employees including the administrator. Make sure that all of the employees of the adult care centre do not have a criminal record and that they have never been involved in an abuse or neglect case. You can check with the Florida Department of Elderly Care, and the Florida Health and Human Services to find out if your employees have been involved in an abuse or neglect case.

Advertise your business in the community and spread the word about your new business. Communicate with other businesses in the field and let them know that you have potential home providers who are available. Touch base with all the local nursing homes and hospitals, for they often know of elderly who are looking for quality care.


Keep copies of all employee files confidential. Follow all state laws and requirements. Administratiors should ideally have a degree related to the human services field or in the business mangment field. Working your way up in the field and having years of hands-on experience can sometimes substitute for a degree.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Angela Reinholz is a full-time freelance writer. Reinholz started writing professionally in 2007, specializing in animals and social work with some branching off into legal matters. She has a Bachelor of Arts in psychology from Southern New Hampshire University and an associate degree in network administration from McIntosh College, located in Dover, N.H.