A dead battery can quickly ruin a weekend of fun on the open road with your Suzuki motorcycle. All of Suzuki's entries in its recent model line-up, from the GSX-R-series sport bikes to the Boulevard line of cruisers, rely on their batteries to generate the electrical charge that drives their ignition systems. On most of these models, the procedure to replace the battery is a quick task that will take less than 10 minutes to complete. Be sure that the new battery has been fully charged, before installing it, to prevent premature battery failure in the future.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Allen wrench set
- Phillips head screwdriver
Unbolt the motorcycle's seat from the frame with an Allen wrench to remove the bolts under the rear or sides of the seat. Lift the seat upward then pull it to the rear to remove the metal tongue on the front of the seat from the groove below the gas tank.
Pull the rubber strap off of the hooks on the sides of the battery's tray.
Unscrew the battery's negative post bolt with a Phillips head screwdriver. Lift the negative battery cable away from the battery and the motorcycle's frame.
Remove the battery's positive post bolt with the Phillips head screwdriver. Lift the positive battery cable away from the battery.
Pull the old battery out of the tray and replace it with a new, fully-charged battery.
Connect the battery cables to the corresponding battery posts, starting with the positive cable followed by the negative cable. Screw in the post bolts with the Phillips head screwdriver.
Slide the seat's tongue into the frame's groove below the gas tank. Lower the seat onto the frame. Screw the seat's mounting bolts into place with the Allen wrench.
Tips and warnings
- Some Suzuki models house their batteries behind the frame's side cover. Pull the side cover's tabs out of the frame's rubber grommets to access the battery.
- Ask your Suzuki dealer to charge your new battery for you if you do not have access to a battery charger.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for