You can format the Dell Precision 380 desktop computer to erase all files on your system and restore the system to factory default settings. Most users format their Dell Precision 380 to recover from a virus, solve driver or application errors, restore the original operating system and software, or to speed up their system. Since it removes all data on your computer, make formatting a last-resort troubleshooting method. Dell provides users with restore disks to help ease the formatting process.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Dell Operating System Restore disk
- Operating System disk (if using a different OS)
Back up all personal files and data to an external device before formatting.
Insert the Dell Operating System Restore disk into your Dell Precision 380.
If you want to format using a different operating system from the one that came with your Dell Precision 380, insert that system's disk into your disk drive. (You must use a full operating system installation and not an upgrade disk to format your system.)
Restart your Dell Precision 380.
Press the "F12" key, and select "CD-ROM" to boot from your operating system disk.
Press the "Enter" key to set up Windows.
Press the "F8" key to accept the license agreement.
Press the "Esc" key to install a new copy of your operating system.
Use your mouse to select the partition you want to format; most users will select the "C:" partition.
Press the "Enter" key to install your operating system on the selected partition.
Click "Format with the NTFS file system."
Wait for the format bar to reach 100 per cent and your system to restart.
Follow the prompts in your operating system set-up wizard to complete your operating system installation.
Tips and warnings
- If you have multiple partitions you want to format, delete each individual partition using the partitions screen from Step 7. Create a new partition or partitions, and format the new partition.
- You cannot recover files after formatting your Dell Precision 380.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for