Siphoning is the process of moving a liquid from a high elevation to a low elevation, and is most commonly performed using pipes or hoses. Siphoning lets gravity do all the work. Removing water from a swimming pool is one way siphoning can save time and money. Siphoning a pool eliminates the need for expensive pumps or service calls, and only requires a water faucet and water hose.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Water hose
- Water faucet
Attach a water hose to an outdoor faucet near the swimming pool. Ensure the hose has no leaks or other damage, such as severe kinks. Place the free end of the water hose into the pool. Position the hose near the top of the surface of the pool about a foot below the water line.
Turn on the water faucet until the hose is full of water. Air bubbles emanating from the hose end in the pool will indicate the hose is filling correctly. When air bubbles no longer rise from the hose, turn the water faucet off.
Unscrew the water hose from the faucet and hold your hand over the hose end to prevent water loss. Locate an area for the water to drain that is lower than the pool's water level. Siphoning only works as long as the end of the hose outside of the pool is lower than the water level of the pool.
Set the water hose on the ground. If the hose is below the pool level in elevation, the water should begin to siphon. Return to the pool every few hours and lower the hose farther into the pool, making sure it stays about a foot below the water line.
Tips and warnings
- For very large pools, siphoning may be able to remove only a small portion of the water. Use a device called a sump pump to remove the rest of the water. Sump pumps are inexpensive to rent and can be found at most rental agencies.
- Do not run your pool equipment once the water line of the pool is below the skimmer. You will run air through your pump and motor and cause them to burn out.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for