Vitamin B6 (Pyroxidine) and Vitex agnus-castus are two products purchased widely in health food stores and pharmacies by women seeking relief from hormone related conditions. Vitamin B6 is an important ingredient needed to create a variety of hormones in the body, including dopamine and serotonin--two anti-stress chemicals that reduce anxiety and depression. Vitex agnus-castus, also known as Chaste Tree, is a herbal remedy that normalises female hormones and balances out the menstrual cycle, and is very helpful in supporting PMS and Menopause.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Vitex agnus-castus
- Vitamin B6
- 1 cup boiling water
Take 1000 mg of Vitex extract daily, either through 40 drops of liquid Vitex tincture or as a capsule containing 1000 mg of dried extract. Some health food stores will sell Vitex as a dried herb, and if taken this way, first measure out 10g of the dried Vitex on a kitchen scale. Next, add a cup of boiling water to make an tart infusion of Vitex tea. Vitex is best absorbed when taken alongside meals, and can be taken at any time of day.
Take 100 mg of Vitamin B6 twice daily with meals. Vitamin B6 is readily available in health food stores, pharmacies and supermarkets as an over-the-counter supplement. Make sure that you are not already taking it in the form of a vitamin-mineral supplement or a B complex supplement before purchasing, to avoid exceeding the recommended dose. It is fine to take Vitamin B6 at the same time as Vitex.
Continue taking Vitamin B6 and Vitex daily for up to nine months, with longer administrations often yielding the better results. Vitex in particular may require to be taken for a minimum of three cycles in order to see changes in hormone levels.
Consult with your health professional regularly over the course of taking Vitamin B6 and Vitex. Everybody reacts differently to these products and it is recommended to have your hormones carefully monitored over this period of time.
Tips and warnings
- The liver is an important organ for maintaining a balance of hormones in the body. Support your liver through drinking lots of water and increasing roughage and dietary fibre in the diet. If constipated, seek treatment, as this may exacerbate any underlying imbalance in blood hormone levels.
- Do not exceed the recommended dosage for Vitamin B6, as high doses of 2g or more of Vitamin B6 over a long period of time have been known to cause nerve damage.
- Do not combine Vitex agnus-castus with oral contraceptives, hormone replacement therapy or progesterone drugs.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for