Many people want the look of suntanned skin all year round without subjecting their bodies to harmful UV rays and tanning beds. Sunless tanning products, such as Johnson's Holiday Skin, allow you to gradually build up a realistic looking fake tan. The product is available in different shades -- light glow, fair to medium and medium to dark. By preparing your skin before application, you will drastically reduce the chances of having telltale uneven streaks of colour that can ruin the appearance of an otherwise natural-looking tan.
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Loofah sponge
- Gentle soap
- Cosmetics sponge
- Bin bag
Choose the shade of fake tan that matches your natural colour. For instance, if you are very light skinned, choose the lightest shade of sunless tanner. Prepare by exfoliating in the shower with a loofah sponge to remove dead, dry skin. Do this several days in a row before applying the lotion to give your skin a chance to develop a smooth surface.
Shower the first day of applying the tanning lotion using a gentle soap, free of moisturisers and fragrance to avoid leaving behind any residue on your clean skin. Dry thoroughly with a towel. Do not apply any other products to your skin.
Squeeze a small amount of the fake tanning liquid into your palm and apply to the bottom of your legs. Work in an even pattern until fully absorbed and repeat until your legs are completely covered. Wash your hands immediately before proceeding to other parts of your body.
Apply the lotion to all other parts of your body, using the same method as with your legs. Wash your hands before proceeding to the next section of your body to keep the product from building up and developing on your palms.
Blend the edges around your feet and ankles with a cosmetics sponge. Lastly, use the sponge to apply the sunless lotion to the top of your hands after washing for the final time. Have a friend apply the tanning lotion to your back if desired.
Wait at least 15 minutes before getting dressed to allow the product to dry and to avoid rubbing any of the product off. Repeat the application process daily until the desired tan level is achieved.
Tips and warnings
- If you do not have anyone to apply the lotion to your back, you can do it yourself with a clean bin bag. Fold the bag evenly to a width of 10 cm (4 inches) and apply the lotion to your back. With one end of the bin bag in each hand, act as if you are drying your back with a towel working back and forth until all the lotion is absorbed.
- Use a blow dryer to speed the lotion drying process or stand in front of a fan.
- Test the lotion on a small patch of skin 24 hours before full application to check for sensitivity.
- Do not exfoliate your skin the same day as you apply the tanner as this may increase your risk of streaks.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for