Mica is a natural mineral that is compatible with most glass. Mica is sold in many colours. Mica creates a luminous sheen when incorporated into fused glass. Mica holds its colour when fired in a kiln, up to about 760 degrees C.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Craft knife
- Contact paper
- Glass cutter
- Glass-fusing kiln
Sketch a design for your project. Draw the pattern on contact paper. Cut out the design with a craft knife and stick it onto the cut glass.
Cut an 8- by 8-inch piece of fusible glass with a glass cutter. Clean the glass with alcohol.
Mix the mica and alcohol on a sheet of glass. Be sure there are no lumps in the mixture.
Place the mixture into glass jar. Paint or the prepared glass sheet evenly with the mica mixture. Allow the mica to dry.
Remove the contact paper to reveal the mica pattern.
Place the mica-covered glass onto a kiln shelf prepared with kiln wash and put the shelf into the glass kiln. Fire according to the recommendations of the manufacturer of the glass you are using.
Tips and warnings
- Alter the size by cutting a different size base plate for the project.
- For glass with a coefficient of expansion (COE) of 90, use using the following firing schedule as a guide. Heat the kiln up at a rate of 176 degrees C per hour until the kiln reaches 810 degrees C. Hold the kiln at 810 degrees Cor 10 minutes. Drop the temperature of the kiln as fast as you can until the kiln reaches the annealing temperature of about 515 degrees C. Hold the temperature of the kiln at 515 degrees Cor about 15 minutes. Lower the temperature of the kiln 65.6 degrees C per hour until the kiln reaches 371 degrees C. Hold for a minute or two and then allow the kiln to return to room temperature before opening the kiln and removing the glass.
- Never leave a kiln unattended when firing.
- Different kilns will require different firing schedules. Record the results for future reference.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for