The hot dog has become a staple food when it comes to outdoor grilling. They are easy to prepare and inexpensive compared to other grilling options. To complement the hot dog, you can choose from a number of types of hot dog buns. In some regions of the country, the hot dog bun is steamed. Regardless of the type of bun you choose, if you want to steam the buns, you have a couple of options to choose from.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Plastic spray bottle
- Aluminium foil
- Double boiler
Fill a plastic spray bottle with purified or tap water.
Lightly spray the outside of your hot dog buns with the spray bottle. You can also spray the inside of the buns if they are older. Do not soak the buns. You want just a fine mist on the outside of the buns.
Wrap each sprayed hot dog bun in a piece of aluminium foil.
Place the foil-wrapped hot dog buns onto a lit grill.
Turn the buns once during the cooking process. They should steam on the grill for the same length of time that you cook your hot dogs, which is about 5 to 10 minutes, depending on your grill and how well-done you want them.
Remove the aluminium foil from your steamed buns.
Place a few inches of cold water into the bottom of a double boiler and place it on the stove.
Turn your hob burner to medium and wait for the water in the double boiler to boil.
Place the hot dog buns into the double boiler once the water is boiling and allow them to steam for 20 seconds.
Tips and warnings
- Another steaming option is to use a steamer basket. These come in metal, plastic and bamboo materials. Place your buns in the basket and allow them to steam for up to 2 minutes.
- If you do not have a double boiler, you can make one by placing a few inches of water into the bottom of a medium saucepan and covering the top of the pan with aluminium foil. Place a metal bowl on top of the aluminium foil to complete the double boiler.
- If you do not want to make your own double boiler, you can hold the buns over a pot of boiling water. The steam that develops when the water boils can be used to steam the buns. This will take about 45 seconds per bun and is a bit more time-consuming since you are limited to the number of buns that you can hold over the water at one time. Always wear an oven glove when holding your hand over a steaming pot, as the steam can scald your skin.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for