Wireless networking has made connecting with other computers on a network simple. Fewer wires must be run and the speeds that are available with wireless networks are getting faster. To cover larger workplaces or to convert a wired connection to a wireless network requires the use of a wireless access point such as the Linksys WAP4400N. In most cases, these devices are set up to work right out of the box. If for some reason this is not working properly, the settings can be manually configured.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wireless network settings
- Computer connected to the wireless access point
Power up the Linksys WAP4400N. If using a PoE switch, the access point will be powered by the Ethernet cable.
Configure the computer's IP address to be on the same subnet as the access point. The default access point IP is 192.168.1.245. If you set the static IP as 192.168.1.5, then it will be on the same subnet. The mask is typically defaulted as 255.255.255.0. To set the static IP, right-click on your network connection on the lower right corner of the task bar. Click "Status." Select the "Properties" button. Select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click the "Properties" button. Click the "Use the following IP address" radio button. Type in "192.168.1.5" in the first box. Type "255.255.255.0" in the second. Click "Ok" and close the windows.
Open a Web browser such as Firefox or Internet Explorer. Type 192.168.1.245 in the address bar. Press "Enter". The default user name and password for the access point is "admin." Once you have accessed the administration utility, you can configure the router manually with your specific network settings or set it up to get the settings automatically. The basic configuration is handled on the "Setup" screen.
Save the settings and reset your computer to the original IP configuration that was set on the computer.
Tips and warnings
- If the default passwords have been changed, you can reset the access point by using a paper clip or pen to hold down the reset button on the back of the device.
- Do not make any changes without contacting the network administrator. This will prevent any settings from being set up incorrectly for your network.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for