Bamboo is our planet's fastest growing plant. This fact makes bamboo a sustainable and eco-friendly building material. Create bamboo screens for privacy or decoration to hang at the end of a porch or patio or to stand inside your home. You can grow your own bamboo poles in a few years, or you can purchase bamboo poles from landscape design and building supply stores. Leave the bamboo screen unfinished for a natural look, or paint it with decorative techniques to coordinate with your space.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Bamboo poles
- Measuring tape
- 22-gauge galvanised wire
- Wire cutters
- 1/8-inch drill bit
Measure and cut bamboo poles equal to the desired height of the bamboo screen. Cut as many poles as you need to make the width of the screen.
Unroll a 16-inch strip of 22-gauge galvanised wire from a spool. Wrap the end of the wire several times around one bamboo pole, 3 to 6 inches from the top. Make sure the wire is tight against the pole. Repeat this step to wrap a wire near the bottom of the same bamboo pole. Keep the distance from the ends of the pole equal for uniformity.
Place the bamboo pole on a flat surface. Stretch each wire to the right of the pole, at least 16 inches.
Fit another bamboo pole beside the first pole, on top of the wires. The poles should be as close together as possible.
Wrap each wire tightly around the second pole twice. The only space between the poles should be the thickness of the wires.
Repeat Steps 3 through 5 to attach as many poles as you need for the width of the bamboo screen. End by wrapping the wire several times around the last bamboo pole and then wrapping it around itself. Cut the excess wire.
Drill hanger holes through the two bamboo poles on each end of the screen. Drill the holes above the wire strand. Hang the bamboo screen with wire or fishing line.
Tips and warnings
- You can also use twine to join the bamboo poles together, in place of the wire. Wrap the twine in a figure eight between two poles and knot the ends tightly together.
- Alter the design of your bamboo screen by alternating poles with different diameters along the width of the screen. Another way to alter the design is to vary the heights of the poles to create a scalloped or jagged design across the top and/or bottom of the screen.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for