A locked MS Word document is password protected and restricts style, structure and editing modifications. Besides locking a document to prevent modifications, MS Word offers the capability to install Windows Rights Management. This tool prevents users from e-mailing or copying a document without permission. After locking a document, the exact password must be employed to unlock it.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Click the "Review" tab in the Office ribbon.
Select "Protect Document" in the "Protect" box.
Click the "Stop Protection" button in the "Restrict Formatting and Editing" panel.
Type the password in the "Unprotect Document" box.
Click "OK." The "Restrict Formatting and Editing" panel has now removed all password restricted permissions.
Tips and warnings
- If a password is lost or does not work, it has to be "cracked" with a third-party application.
- Microsoft cannot retrieve your forgotten passwords.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for