The 4x4 Blazer models come with either a six-cylinder engine or an eight-cylinder engine. The oil pan is in the same place on both model types and the process is basically the same. Replacing the oil pan gasket is important because without the gasket, or if the gasket is damaged, you will have serious problems with your engine. The gasket is located on the edge of the oil pan where the oil pan meets the engine block on the bottom of the engine.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 2 jack stands
- Oil drain pan
- Ratchet set
- Metal scraper
- Replacement gasket
- Torque wrench
Raise the front end of the 4x4 Blazer model using the jack. Support the front end of the Blazer with a pair of jack stands. Get underneath the engine and place the oil drain pan under the oil pan's drain plug. Remove the Blazer's oil pan drain plug using the ratchet set and drain the oil from the oil pan. Replace the Blazer's oil pan drain plug to the oil pan and tighten the plug using the ratchet set.
Remove the oil drain pan from under the Blazer. Remove the bolts that mount the oil pan to the bottom of the engine using the ratchet set. Pull the oil pan off the engine and remove the gasket using the metal scraper to scrape the gasket from the oil pan.
Place the replacement gasket onto the oil pan and place the oil pan back onto the bottom of the engine. Replace the bolts around the edge of the oil pan and tighten the bolts using the torque wrench. The bolts will need to be tightened to the torque specification for that particular year and engine type.
Remove the jack stand and lower the Blazer to the ground.
Tips and warnings
- The bolt sizes and torque specifications are different for almost every Blazer model.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- "Chevrolet & GMC Pickup, 1967 through 1987 (Haynes Repair Manual)"; John Haynes; 1998
- "Haynes Chevrolet S-10 & Blazer, GMC Sonoma & Jimmy, Oldsmobile Bravada, Isuzu Hombre Automotive Repair Manual: 1994 Thru 1998 (Haynes Repair Manual)"; Robert Maddox, and John H. Haynes; 1999
- "Chevrolet S-10 and GMC Sonoma Pick-Ups,(1994 through 2004) Chevrolet Blazer and GMC Jimmy,(1995 through 2004) Oldsmobile Bravada and Isuzu Hombre, (1996 through 2001) (Haynes Manuals)"; John Haynes; 2002