Computers don't last forever. Your hard drive may crash or you purchase an upgraded system for the newest games, leaving your old one behind. Not all is lost when you move on to a new computer, at least not when it comes to games purchased through the Steam game store software. Steam users can use the software's backup functionality to restore games that have been deleted or left on an old computer. To restore games from backup, you will need to use Steam's backup utility to create copies of the game files on a CD or DVD.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Steam software
- Steam account
- CD or DVD
Open your Steam software. Click “Games” on the top of the screen. Click “View Games Library” from the drop-down menu.
Right-click the name of a game on the left side of the screen on a PC. If you are on a Mac, press “Control” and click the name of a game.
Select “Backup Game Files.” Click to select the check box next to any games you want to back up. You can back up only those games you have downloaded and updated. Click “Next.”
Note the backup destination listed on the screen. Click “Next” to use this default destination or click “Browse” to choose your own.
Click the drop-down menu under “File Size” and select “CD” or “DVD.” This will dictate how large each file is so you can place the files onto a disc. Click “Next.”
Insert a DVD or CD into your computer's drive depending on the option chosen for your file size.
Click “Open Backup Folder.” Burn the folder data onto your disc.
Download and install the Steam software if you do not have it on the new system.
Insert the first backup disc file you created into your computer. Open the backup folder, and then click “Disk 1.”
Open Steambackup.exe from the folder.
Select “Restore GAME NAME backup” from the menu that appears. “GAME NAME” will be replaced with the name of the game you are restoring.
Open the game from your Steam library.
Tips and warnings
- Place files located under the Save folder of your Steam directory on a flash drive or CD to back up your saved games. Drag and drop the files into the Save folder of your restored backup game files to continue games where you left off.
- Record the path name of your backup files in case you need to make additional backup copies in the future.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for