If you're looking for new typography to enhance your Microsoft Word documents, all you need to do is download some new free fonts. There are many font sites to choose from, some of which offer thousands of free fonts available. Once you find a font and download it to your hard drive, you need to install it in your font directory before you can use it in Microsoft Word.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Navigate to a free font site of your choice. See Resources for three options.
Browse through the available font choices until you find one you want to download.
Click "Download" next to the font you want. Some sites have different "Download" buttons for Windows and Mac, so make sure you select the right one for your computer.
Click "Open with," then "OK" in the dialogue box that appears.
Double-click the font file to preview it. Click "Install" to install the font on your computer using Windows 7. The font will be added to your font folder in Control Panel.
Open Microsoft Word. Click the "Font" drop-down menu to select the new font.
Tips and warnings
- In Windows 7, you also may install a font by dragging the file into your Font folder in the Control Panel. Click "Control Panel" on the "Start" menu. Click "Appearance and Personalization," then select "Fonts." Select and drag the downloaded font file into the Font Control Panel window.
- In Windows Vista, right-click the font file and select "Install." You also can use the drag and drop method into Control Panel.
- In Windows XP, install a downloaded font from Control Panel. In "Control Panel," select "Appearance and Themes," then click "Fonts" from the "See Also" panel. Click the "File" menu and select "Install New Font." Select the font file you just downloaded and click "OK."
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for