A fabric screen provides a temporary divider in a room, or it can be used to camouflage areas you'd rather keep private. Making your own screen allows you to customise both the size and the fabric to match your needs and current decor scheme. PVC pipe is a quick way to form the basic frame without the need for any woodworking skills or tools. PVC pipe is available in pre-cut lengths, or you can quickly cut pipes down to size with a PVC pipecutting tool.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Sewing machine and thread
- 6-foot, 1-inch diameter PVC pipes, 3
- 1-foot, 1-inch diameter PVC pipes, 4
- 4 PVC elbow connectors
- 2 PVC three-way connectors
Cut two panels from your fabric with scissors. Make each panel 6 1/2 feet by 1 foot.
Fold the long sides of the fabric over 1/4 inch, then fold them over a second time so the raw edges of the fabric are trapped within the fold. Sew along each folded seam to secure the hem,
Fold the top and bottom 1 3/4 inches of each panel over to form rod pockets. Fold the raw edge under by 1/4 inch and sew along the fold with your sewing machine to form the completed rod pocket while hiding the raw edge of the fabric.
Iron each panel, smoothing out any wrinkles.
Place a PVC elbow on either end of 6-foot, 1-inch diameter PVC pipe. Insert a 1-foot pipe into the open end of each of the two elbows.
Slide the 1-foot pipes through the top and bottom rod pockets on one of the fabric panels. Attach a PVC three-way connector to the end of each 1-foot pipe.
Slide a second 6-foot pipe into the three-way connectors to finish the frame for the first panel of the screen. Insert 1-foot pipes into the remaining opening on each three-way connector.
Slide the second fabric panel onto the 1-foot pipes. Attach a PVC elbow to the end of each of the pipes one the panel is in place.
Insert the final 6-foot pipe into the elbow opening, completing the frame. Stand the fabric screen on end to use. The V-shape of the frame supports the fabric panels.
Tips and warnings
- Make a longer screen by attaching additional frame pipes and fabric panels together with the three-way connectors.
- Paint the PVC pipe in a colour to match your decor if you like.
- PVC pipes and connectors are available at hardware and plumbing stores.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for