How To Dispose of Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Golden Valley, Minnesota

Written by lynndee marooney
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How To Dispose of Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Golden Valley, Minnesota
Carbon monoxide levels can cause death when the problem is undetected. (fire detector on ceiling image by StarJumper from

Carbon monoxide is a gas that does not have a smell or taste. Symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure are flu-like symptoms that can progress to unconsciousness or even death as levels rise. Carbon monoxide detectors sound an alarm when levels reach a dangerous level. A carbon monoxide detector has a lifespan of approximately six years and then should be replaced. Residents of Golden Valley, Minnesota should dispose of the detectors in accordance to local regulations.

Skill level:
Moderately Easy

Other People Are Reading

Things you need

  • Screwdriver

Show MoreHide


  1. 1

    Remove the carbon monoxide detector from the wall or ceiling. Your detector may be installed using screws or it may be installed using a double-sided tape.

  2. 2

    Open the door covering the batteries and remove the batteries. The batteries cannot be disposed with the carbon monoxide detector.

  3. 3

    Place the carbon monoxide detector in with your household trash and dispose of the trash in your normal manner. Golden Valley, Minnesota does not require a special process or dropoff location for carbon monoxide detectors.

Tips and warnings

  • Consider replacing your carbon monoxide monitor in place of the one you are disposing of.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.