Monkey Style Kung Fu, also known as Monkey Fist, is a Chinese martial art that employs attacks and techniques based on the movements of monkeys and apes. Monkey Fist is a highly acrobatic style of martial arts that is dependent on thinking and acting like a monkey. Monkey Style has no set forms but relies on quick, explosive attacks followed by rapid evasions that involve rolling, jumping and scurrying away from your opponent.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Training materials
- 10-by-10-foot area to train in
- Loose fitting clothing
- Training partner
Establish an area to train in. Monkey style is acrobatic and involves rolls, somersaults and rapid height changes. So ideally you will want to train on grass, gym mats or other soft surfaces.
Observe the movements and characteristics of monkeys closely, either in person or on television. Monkey Style Kung Fu is considered a mindset in China. To be an effective Monkey Style fighter you must be able to assume the physical characteristics of an actual monkey. Pay particular attention to the manner in which monkeys fight with one another.
Develop your gymnastic abilities. Monkeys are extremely nimble and can roll and flip their way into and out of an attack. Monkey Kung Fu practitioners must develop a good arsenal of acrobatic skills they can use to launch attacks and evade danger.
Train in a more conventional martial art simultaneously. Monkey Kung Fu is less an organised fighting system and more a state of being. To be an effective practitioner of Monkey Kung Fu it is helpful to learn another style of Northern or Southern Kung Fu, which can then be practised while you assume the characteristics of a monkey.
Tips and warnings
- Monkeys are supple, limber and nimble. To be an effective Monkey Kung Fu practitioner you need to be extremely limber. Practicing regular stretching is the best way to accomplish this.
- Monkey Kung Fu is difficult and not for everyone. Monkey Fist is a style best suited for those who are quick and small of stature. People with back problems or other physical impediments would be better off practicing a different style of Kung Fu.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for