Although cute, squirrels can become a nuisance, especially if they frequent your garden and flowers. Running the squirrels out of your garden will only cause them to return once you are away. A repellent is needed to ensure the rodents don’t come back. A natural repellent made with household items can be used to get rid of pesky squirrels once and for all. There are no toxic chemicals in this method, so your plants are safe, and so are the squirrels.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Sauce pan
- Cutting board
- Jalapeño peppers
- Cayenne pepper
- Spray bottle
Fill half a saucepan with water and heat on a low setting.
Chop one jalapeño pepper and one onion into fine pieces. When the water has come to a boil, drop the pepper and onion into the saucepan.
Add a tablespoon of cayenne pepper and a tablespoon of paprika to the saucepan.
Simmer the mixture of spices and vegetables for 15 minutes. Stir the mixture every three minutes to ensure the liquid and vegetables don’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool.
Transfer the liquid to your spray bottle using a strainer. The strainer will prevent the vegetable chunks from getting into the spray bottle. You only need to use the liquid.
Spray your plants once a week using this mixture. The hot peppers, onion and spices will repel the squirrels and keep them from coming back.
Tips and warnings
- You can also add fresh cayenne and paprika at the base of your plants.
- You can spray your plants more often if the weather turns wet and starts to rain often.
- The mixture can be stored for about a month, but you should keep it in a cool place. If you don’t finish the mixture after a month, make a new batch.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for